Friday, April 24, 2009

NS woes...

Today is a pretty sad day for me. I've just received my NS (National Service) letter. I will have to report in for training on 15 June. Seriously, it's boring -.-"

Anyway, to sum up what is NS. It's where the guys living in Singapore, between 18 to 20+, must report in for 2 years of military service. 2 reasons why a must though. First, singapore is a very small country, to be specific, it's just an island on the world map. The number of people here is pretty pathetic compare to other big countries. Which equals to the number of people willing to enter the military = pathetic. Second, no country can support itself with mercenaries for long, and because the number of people willing to join the military out of free will, they will have to make it complusary.

Why I'm not partiucualarly happy about it is because, and this is just me, first, 2 years of your prime is gone. You can do a lot stuff at my age in 2 years. Take for exmaple, I'm 21. After 2 years of training, I'm 23. Simple math right? Let's say I want to further my studies, maybe 3 years? And by the time I really start to work, I'll be around 27. And there are a lot of things I haven't done yet. Career, marriage, etc and I'm already at the age where I can get mid-life crisis -.-" I think that's the reason why more and more people are getting depression in singapore :)

So in singapore, you have to work extremely hard in order to succeed. Hey, I'm not saying that you don't need to work hard in other countries to suceed but in singapore, you need that addiotional effort. Also, all is not over after you finished the NS. You still need to go back for re-service every year(?) until you are in late 30+(?) But according to others, there is a way to clear it faster so that you'll be free to do more stuff.

Talking about NS, actually, I only have to report in on July. But because I failed my NAPFA test (please refer to the previous topic), I have to report in 1 month earlier. Major drag. Anyway, since I've booked for a re-test, I'll need to call back to inform them, in case I pass then I'll have another month to play, and hopefully, celebrate my birthday early :)

2 comments:

  1. Mandetory military service blows. Good luck with this & hopefully you can score a happy birthday first!

    ReplyDelete